Oceaneering Field Technician in Charleston, South Carolina
Oceaneering Technologies (OTECH) performs a wide range of engineering services and products for unique marine systems for military and commercial customers. OTECH innovates wherever practical rather than inventing making it “faster to field” than others in its industry; the typical development/delivery cycle for complex mechanical, hydraulic, electrical systems is often completed in 12-15 months. Technical capabilities span the entire engineering spectrum. These skills have been demonstrated in successfully delivered systems, including Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROVs); Autonomous Underwater Vehicles (AUVs); saturation diving systems; surface and sub-surface vehicle launch and recovery systems; advanced offshore cranes; and life support systems.
OTECH is a division of Oceaneering International Inc. and ISO 9001 certified.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click on Non-Oilfield, then click on Naval and Marine Services, then click Oceaneering Technologies.
The Field Technician is responsible for the operation of Remotely Operated Vehicles (ROV’s) in a safe and efficient manner, as well as the maintenance and repair of all electronic, electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems and sub-systems associated with ROV’s, including component repair, replacement, and troubleshooting.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Operate equipment, vehicle functions, cameras (video and Still), acoustic positioning system, sonar, manipulators (robotic arms), and LARS (Launch and Recovery Systems).
- Assist and/or pilot ROV’s: evaluate the environment conditions and hazards, dock/undock from tether management system (TMS), and navigate the ROV by acoustics, sonar and visual (video).
- Perform maintenance and repairs on electronic, electrical, hydraulic, and mechanical systems.
- Use test equipment, calibrate and align equipment, and perform general housekeeping and corrosion control.
- Use power, video and data distribution equipment including: high voltage lines and transformers; phase, current, and voltage monitoring; ground fault protection circuits; sub-sea cameras; amplifiers; coaxial cables; video monitors; video converters; microprocessor controlled video switchers; modems; line drivers, serial ports; parallel ports; termination of both multi-mode and single mode fiber-optic conductors and modems.
- Maintain oil-filled sub-sea electrical enclosures including: main lift umbilical, oil-filled cables, cable splices, and sub-sea rated one atmosphere lights; terminate sub-sea tethers.
- Use sub-sea navigational equipment including but not limited to magnetic compass, gyro, transducer, sonar, altimeter, and associated survey equipment.
- Establish and maintain parts and supplies associated with all electrical and electronics devices.
- Integrates and operates ancillary tooling including but not limited to hard and soft line cutters, pump units, water pumps, and associated hydraulic systems.
- Maintains parts and supplies inventory associated with all system mechanical and hydraulics assemblies and subassemblies.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to Operations Manager
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Technical Associates Degree or tech trade school preferred.
- At least 12 months of formal mechanical and hydraulic training, or at least 12 months of formal electronic and electronics training.
- Willing to work offshore in harsh weather environments on a rotation or callout basis.
- Must be able to pass a drug/alcohol screen and physical evaluation.
- Will be required to ride boats, barges, and air transportation to remote areas.
- Must be able to obtain a valid Passport and Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC Card).
- Must be willing to travel internationally on short notice for up to six weeks at a time.
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Accurate - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Adaptability - Ability to adapt to change in the workplace.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Must be able to obtain security clearance.
- Desired degrees etc.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Field Technician
Location: Charleston, South Carolina
Job ID: 12096
Full/Part Time: Full-Time