Oceaneering Structural Welder II, III & Specialist in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Advanced Technologies (ADTECH) group of Oceaneering is an industry leader in enabling humans to work safely and effectively in harsh environments ranging from the depths of the sea to the outer reaches of space. ADTECH specializes in the support of manned systems and the development and application of practical, cost-effective robotic systems in multiple industries. ADTECH designs, builds, and operates unique underwater systems for the US Navy and provides full life cycle maintenance services in support of submarines and Deep Submergence Systems. In support of our space program, ADTECH is developing the next generation space suit for NASA, is responsible for astronaut tools for ExtraVehicular Activity, and provides robotic and spacecraft life support systems. ADTECH is also a leader in design, build, and installation of theme park entertainment ride systems, show action equipment, and control systems hardware and software.
ADTECH’s business areas are: Oceaneering Technologies, Marine Services Division, Oceaneering Space Systems, Oceaneering Entertainment Systems and Manufacturing. All business areas of ADTECH are ISO 9001 certified.
Perform various welding processes to repair, modify and install various pipes, structures, foundations and fittings associated with shipboard hydraulic, pneumatic and water systems. Select proper materials and requirements to perform welding functions. Fabricate and install fixtures and jigs required for welding process alignments. Involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, high level of critical thinking/reading comprehension, and frequent travel/overtime are required.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Security Clearance issued by the U.S. government.
- Applicant will be subject to a security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government. In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
- Please, visit this link to determine if you would be eligable for a clearance: https://www.clearancejobs.com/securityclearancefaq.pdf
Duties & Responsibilities
- Reports directly to the Supervisor in the performance of his/her responsibilities. In the absence of the Supervisor, he/she will report to an individual designated by the Supervisor. These responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Strict adherence to corporate, federal, state and local safety regulations prior to setting up or operating any machinery. In sure that all OII Personnel Protective Equipment (PPE) are worn and that all damaged PPE is discarded. Read and understand OII PPE Policy.
- Read and interpret blueprints to plan setup and operation of the machine shop equipment prior to commencing the operation. Layout material prior to performing machining operations to prevent possible errors. Machine parts to close tolerances ensuring finish requirements of the drawings are achieved.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices; turning off machines when not in use, disposing of waste properly, sweeping the area, etc.
- Return tools/equipment to proper location and report any lost, missing, stolen or damaged items to the Facilities Supervisor in accordance with Process Instruction (PI-069).
- Assist the Facilities Supervisor, as directed by your Supervisor, for conducting preventive and corrective maintenance.
- Qualify as a Welder in accordance with OII Process Instructions (PI-022).
- Ensure that all requirements of the OII Quality Assurance Manual are followed when invoked by Task Group Instructions (TGI), Process Instructions (PI) and/or other guidance given by management.
- Perform machining operations using portable machines (required for forward site support).
- Follow detailed repair procedures and instructions (e.g.; QA packages steps, RECs, CWPs, FWPs, TGIs etc.) required to complete the production operations.
- Perform as Team Member, cooperating with the efforts of other trades during an installation, modification or repair operations.
- Prepare Condition Reports to document unsatisfactory condition(s) identified during the production operation (i.e.; repair, modification, etc.).
- Coordinate the efforts of other trades during an installation, modification or repair operation.
- Read and understand basic terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process. Materials are costly and the possibility of damage or spoilage is high without proper preparation.
- Fabricate and install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes.
- Select welding filler materials, joint design, proper heat ranges and most effective or required welding process/procedure to ensure quality welding operations
- Ensure and assume responsibility for Level I and SUBSAFE material controls in accordance with Process Instruction (PI-008).
High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with welding operations in a repair department or shipyard or fabrication shop. Must have the ability to obtain government base access. Knowledge and practical skills tests required. Qualify as a Welder/Workmanship Inspector in accordance with OII Process Instructions and welding procedures.
Level-I Qualifications: Requires constant supervision/oversight. Has knowledge of the trade qualifications and performs as an entry level Welder. Must be able to understand and perform the basic set up, adjustment, and operation of various welding equipment and hand tools used in the trade. Select welding filler material, joint design and proper heat ranges as directed by Technical Work Documents.
Level-II Qualifications: Requires limited supervision/oversight. Is familiar with the trade qualifications and can perform most tasks required as a Welder. Must be able to understand and perform the basic set up, adjustment, and operation of various welding equipment and hand tools used in the trade. Select welding filler material, joint design and proper heat ranges as directed by Technical Work Documents. Read and understand basic terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process.
Level-III Qualifications: Requires no supervision/oversight. Has experience in the trade qualifications, and can perform all work required as a Welder and will provide mentoring to junior craftsman. Must be able to understand and perform the set up, adjustment, and operation of various welding equipment and hand tools used in the trade. Select welding filler material, joint design and proper heat ranges as directed by Technical Work Documents. Read and understand terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process. Fabricate and install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes.
Specialist Qualifications: Requires no supervision and excels in all qualifications and welding processes. Is an expert in all tasks required as a Welder and will provide mentoring to junior craftsman. Must be able to understand and perform the set up, adjustment, and operation of all welding equipment and hand tools used in the trade. Select welding filler material, joint design and proper heat ranges as directed by Technical Work Documents. Read and understand terminology, blueprints, drawings and schematics to plan installation, modification or repair prior to commencing the process. Fabricate and install fixtures, jigs, supports and targets to ensure proper alignment during welding processes. Produce quality welds, including pipe, in difficult or adverse conditions and is proficient in multiple welding procedures/procedures.
Additional Specialized Qualifications/Experience:Deep Submergence Systems (SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification. Automated welding processes.
Travel & Overtime
- Frequent travel/overtime are required.
This position is considered SHOP/INDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- When outdoors, humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Job tasks are performed in close physical proximity to other people
- Requires working indoors in non-controlled environmental conditions
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUMwork.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces,kneel, jump, run, work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
Wear PPE for skin protection
Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
Operate a motor vehicle
Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Structural Welder II, III & Specialist
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 11780
Full/Part Time: Full-Time