Oceaneering Test Director in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Advanced Technologies (ADTECH) group of Oceaneering is recognized as an industry leader in enabling humans to work safely and effectively in harsh environments ranging from the depths of the sea to the outer reaches of space. ADTECH specializes in the support of manned systems and the development and application of practical, cost-effective robotic systems in multiple industries.
ADTECH designs, builds, and operates unique underwater systems for the US Navy and provides life cycle maintenance services for Submarines and Deep Submergence Systems. ADTECH is developing the next generation space suit for NASA and provides robotic and spacecraft life support systems. ADTECH is also an award winning leader in design, build, and installation of theme park entertainment ride systems and provides intra-logistic solutions using AGV systems.
ADTECH's business areas are: Oceaneering Technologies, Marine Services Division, Oceaneering Space Systems, Oceaneering Entertainment Systems, Frog AGV Systems, and ADTECH Manufacturing Group.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click on Non-Oilfield, then click on Naval and Marine Services.
A Test Director (TD) is responsible for installation, integration and maintenance work control and testing. The TD provides support to the Submarine, Surface Ship and/or Deep Submergence System Projects as assigned to specific projects for the scheduling, preparation, performance of testing and work control. A practical knowledge of ships systems is required. Duties include performance of engineering tasks, including development of system level test and operational procedures. Review test procedures, coordinate support services to perform tests. Analyzes testing failures to determine cause and recommends corrective action. Designs, develops, and implements testing methods and equipment. Overnight and extended periods of travel may be required.
*Expectations of this function are: *
- Self-motivated, focused individual with strong attention to detail and high ethical standards.
- Performs basic engineering tasks and conventional design that may be varied in nature.
- Ability to read and interpret blue prints, and SUBSAFE requirements.
- Ability to work as part of team of managers and technical personnel and support multiple projects.
- Strong organizational skills and analytical / logical approach.
- Ability to synthesize diverse information (technical, schedule) and exercise good judgment.
- Good technical judgment and some independent evaluation, originality and ingenuity are expected.
- Must have or be able to obtain a Security Clearance issued by the U.S. government.
- Applicant will be subject to a security investigation and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government. In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
- Please, visit this link to determine if you would be eligable for a clearance: https://www.clearancejobs.com/securityclearancefaq.pdf
Duties & Responsibilities
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- The TD directs test operations, and ensures testing operations are performed in accordance with approved procedures.
- The TD reviews test procedures, TGIs (Task Group Instructions) & OQE (Objective Quality Evidence) to ensure testing accomplished will meet all the requirements.
- The TD shall ensure all testing or required operations that will be performed during the assigned shift are listed on the LAT/TPOD and/or SPOD. If testing or operations are not listed on the LAT/TPOD, the TD shall not proceed before obtaining an approved change to the LAT/TPOD and/or SPOD.
- The TD shall ensure all prerequisites are satisfied and shall brief the personnel supporting the test on the requirements for performance of the test. TD shall also brief the Shipyard and Ship’s Watch/Duty Officer of test status. The TD shall hold all members of the test team accountable to the TWD and follow all instructions concerning the test documents. Prerequisites include but are not limited to: a. Conduct a thorough test boundary installation check.
- Perform test set-up and assembly of test equipment as directed by TWDs. Develop system alignments verify they are performed and complete.
- Conduct a review of approved procedures prior to performance. Resolve any test document questions/concerns prior to proceeding to test.
- The TD is responsible for preventing or stopping work or testing which could prevent safe performance of operations listed on the LAT/TPOD or SPOD.
- The TD shall ensure the personnel supporting the test are briefed on the requirements for performance of the test.
- Upon completion of the test, the TD shall review the document for completion and evaluate shipyard shipboard test results and problems and take appropriate corrective actions.
- The TD restores the system to a safe condition, as specified in the test document, and notifies the ship’s Duty Officer that testing is complete
- Review Work Packages to determine the appropriate testing to be accomplished. Develop Supplemental Test Instructions to support required testing. Develop and maintain a Test and Inspection Plan.
- Provide technical support to the project interfacing with engineering, planning, and production personnel to define testing plan.
- Developing, writing and processing proposed tag outs WAFs (Work Authorization Forms) and the resulting TORS (Tag Out Records Sheets) when required.
- Daily interface with SF and project personnel, and interface functions with other test organizations as identified by the Test Engineer Manager are an integral part of this task.
- Attend project meetings to provide input as necessary.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED
The above list is only a representative sample of what the Test Director may be asked to do. The Test Director may perform other special projects or duties as required to support business needs.
Directly Supervised: None
Indirectly Supervised: None
- Bachelor’s Degree in a mechanical or electrical discipline from an accredited college or university or AS in a mechanical or electrical discipline from an accredited college or university with additional working knowledge of Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- In lieu of a degree, a graduate of a Shipyard Apprenticeship Program with a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience in Submarine/Shipboard structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations; or qualified Submarines with six (6) years of experience performing Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- A minimum of five (5) years experience in Submarine structural, mechanical and/or electrical system repair/installations.
- Minimum of six (6) years technical knowledge and operational experience with Naval Submarine and/or Surface HM&E; systems. Working knowledge of SUBSAFE & Level 1, drawing and NAVSEA approved testing and certification/re-certification requirements.
- High comprehension of current testing requirements for certification/recertification of U.S. Navy submarines, surface ships, and special purpose vehicles/systems in order to serve as the subject matter expert.
- Have HM&E; systems experience such Trim & Drain, High Pressure Air, Hydraulics, Power Generation/Dist, Switchboards/Panels, Circuit Breakers, Battery Systems, Shore power, Interior Communications, Announcing Circuits, Alarm/Indication/Monitoring Systems, Temporary Alarms/Communications, Ballast Control Systems, Steering and Diving Control Systems, etc.
- Ability to obtain a clearance.
- Strong computer skills. Working knowledge of Microsoft Suite and PeopleSoft experience is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Background knowledge in government and commercial contract requirements.
Essential Job Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The shipyard/base/manufacturingwork environment; the site may contain mobility barriers with uneven ground level and obstructed pathways. Climatic and environmental conditions at the job site will be indoor/outdoor climate with various temperaturesand noise levels caused by tools, machinery, equipment, and etc.
Employee may be required to do the following: ability to access and work in confined spaces,reaching in all directions, handling and manipulating objects and materials; coordinating the movement of eyes, hands and fingers to operate machines and equipment; lifting 50 lbs from ground level, waist level, and/or overhead; carrying objects, etc.; ascending/descending inclined ships gangways; climbing ladders, standing; crawling, squatting, bending, sitting; walking; seeing with or without correction; hearing with or without correction; following set procedures and standards; applying basic mathematicalskills; following oral and/or written directions; reading; writing; ability to recognize and report safety hazards. Protective equipment will be required to be worn at all times. This is Mediumwork.
(Exerting up to 20 to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or 10 to 25 pounds of work frequently and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Physical demand requirements are in excess of those for Light Work).
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Test Director
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 11790
Full/Part Time: Full-Time