Oceaneering Sr. Quality Engineer in Clear Lake, Texas
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The Advanced Technologies (ADTECH) group of Oceaneering is recognized as an industry leader in enabling humans to work safely and effectively in harsh environments ranging from the depths of the sea to the outer reaches of space. ADTECH specializes in the support of manned systems and the development and application of practical, cost-effective robotic systems in multiple industries.
ADTECH designs, builds, and operates unique underwater systems for the US Navy and provides life cycle maintenance services for Submarines and Deep Submergence Systems. ADTECH is developing the next generation space suit for NASA and provides robotic and spacecraft life support systems. ADTECH is also an award winning leader in design, build, and installation of theme park entertainment ride systems and provides intra-logistic solutions using AGV systems.
ADTECH's business areas are: Oceaneering Technologies, Marine Services Division, Oceaneering Space Systems, Oceaneering Entertainment Systems, Frog AGV Systems, and ADTECH Manufacturing Group.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click on Non-Oilfield, then click on Naval and Marine Services.
Working under limited supervision is responsible for selection and implementation of Company Quality Assurance methods and procedures for products manufactured under contract with NASA, DOD or private industry. Individual errors will directly affect, to a moderate degree, the overall pace of production, quality of product, or overhead cost for programs/products.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Review engineering drawings for compliance to configuration management, traceability, inspection, manufacturability and design requirements.
- Evaluate complex electrical assemblies (e.g. PCBs, Cable Assemblies, etc) including integrated hardware and software designs for compliance to contractual requirements. Liaison with internal and external customers in a fast-paced team environment for resolution of issues.
- Support electrical component selection and approval process with the customer approval boards. Liaison with component manufacturers and distributors to ensure compliance to design requirements, traceability requirements, ESD packaging requirements, part marking requirements, etc. Support electrical component screening process and evaluate supporting documentation.
- Prepare Statement of Work for subcontracted electrical fabrication tasks and work with suppliers to ensure all requirements can be met, including inspection, testing and other verification activities.
- Audit and approve suppliers to Quality Management System requirements of AS9100 and ensure that the supplier can meet the technical requirements levied by Oceaneering & the customer.
- Work closely with design engineering to determine the overall quality approach for projects based on evaluation of detailed requirements, specifications, and the Quality Manual. This includes preparing manuals, plans, procedures and inspection/test instructions for hardware related to the contracts and purchase orders. In addition, the job requires assessing technical and customer requirements, developing and selecting standard inspection or statistical techniques and procedures for inspection of hardware, software, soft-goods, electronic, and electro-mechanical subassemblies and purchased piece parts.
- Review software quality requirements, assess software quality assurance plans and verification process for software validation.
- Maintains and updates the approved supplier list by being involved with supply chain management, identifying appropriate vendors, auditing vendors, resolving negative trends and maintaining approval status within the approved supplier database.
- Participate in design reviews and Customer/Company certification reviews and prepare procedures for test technicians/Quality test inspectors. Develop Quality standards for hardware and softgoods manufacturing.
- Serve as a member of the Material Review Board and assure appropriate disposition, cause and corrective action on discrepancy reports and disposition records as well as maintaining follow-up on open reject tags and discrepancy reports until they are satisfactorily closed.
- The Quality Engineer ensures that parts and associated documentation are delivered on time, error free and within schedule.
- Perform special process and statistical studies and quality assessments and implements Metrology System controls.
- Uphold OSS quality goals and perform metric trending for customer reporting and continuous improvement efforts within the quality organization as well as company-wide.
- Executes the quality plan from all aspects; budget, schedule, and technical.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering. Master’s Degree in EE would be highly desirable.
- 3 to 5 years of experience with printed circuit board assembly (PCBA) design/review including architecture and circuit design, analysis, component selection, breadboard testing, schematic capture, PCB layout, prototyping, debugging, verification, compliance and qualification testing, documentation, and manufacturing support. Familiarity with IPC 6012,
- IPC 6013 for PCBs required.
- Experience with NASA workmanship standards (NASA-STD-8739.1, NASA-STD-8739.2, NASA-STD-8739.3 and NASA-STD-8739.4) and IPC workmanship standards (e.g IPC-J-STD-001) highly desirable.
- Experience of at least 3 years in a Quality Assurance role , especially in a human space flight hardware development and manufacturing environment for Government products would be desirable.
- Knowledge of NASA human space flight certification and approval processes desired. Must be able to work well in a group environment and be able to exercise independent decision-making and sound judgment. Ability to effectively handle conflicts and dynamic nature of the work environment.
- Experience working process issues such as Key Process Indicators (KPI) and/or Cost of Poor Quality (COPQ) projects is desirable. Previous experience interfacing with the NASA customer and/or the oil and gas industry is also desirable.
- Excellent work organization and communications skills, both writing & speaking, are required. Able to work independently and make decisions without direct supervision involvement.
- Some travel may be required.
- Experience with electronics, EEE parts, and/or software development is highly desirable.
- U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status required
Equal Employment Opportunity
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Sr. Quality Engineer
Location: Clear Lake, Texas
Job ID: 11945
Full/Part Time: Full-Time