Oceaneering HR Business Partner in Rosyth, United Kingdom
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
Duties & Responsibilities
Positioning the role of HR Business Partner (HRBP) as an integral part of the Business Unit management team, the HRBP will develop effective working relationships, influence and challenge the senior management team and the development and delivery of objectives and plans in support of the achievement of the Business Unit and HR strategies.
Working in partnership with the business, the HRBP will provide specialist coaching, support and influence that enables key clients to effectively deliver their people plans.
The HRBP will provide a consultancy service that delivers best practice and commercially focused HR solutions that support the Business Unit in conjunction with specialist HR functions and the HR Service Centre.
- Equip key clients with appropriate tools and knowledge to effectively manage their people in line with the HR/Business Unit Strategy, objectives and plans e.g. performance management, absence management, career management etc.
- Provide project management support and HR expertise to the business with specific related projects.
- Outside of the HR Strategy, identify people issues in partnership with assigned Business Unit and support them with advice and expertise to resolve these matters.
- Contribute to the delivery of Business Unit Key Performance Indicators.
- Provide personal support on the research, design and development of HR initiatives in support of the HR strategy, using expert knowledge of the client area. Facilitate the creation of an implementation and communication plan into the local business area that achieves the agreed deliverables.
- Proactively gain client feedback to aid HR specialist areas to improve service levels and work with HR specialist areas where an issue/project may have an impact to develop and support the business requirements.
- Drive, influence, advice and support the cultural and people aspects of organizational change, structures, people processes and business improvement initiatives within the business area in order to improve business efficiency and people management allowing for flexibility and planned growth.
- Provide both transformational advice and transactional support (contracting in services HR Specialists where required) on change management initiatives, organizational / departmental restructures / job role design / outsourcing / TUPE transfers / redundancy situations) in order to improve cost and efficiency, clarify accountabilities and empower delivery of great customer service.
- Embed a performance management culture within the business unit as a means of driving business improvement by ensuring clear objectives, feedback and the improvement of customer service through behaviors aligned with Oceaneering core values.
- Working in partnership with the Business Unit, manage employee relations issues including ongoing relations with Employee Committees/Trade Unions(where appropriate). Build management responsibility and capability for managing ER issues and improve the effectiveness of consultation.
- Proactively consult, influence and negotiate with Trade Union Officials on local and Companywide issues. Proactively work with the relevant Union body with regard to the interpretation and renegotiation of the collective agreement (where appropriate) with the Director, HR.
- Manage strategic ER / people issues, contracting in the services of specialist HR areas as required (including the HR Service Centre).
- Identify gaps in existing HR policies and contribute to the development of new HR policies and procedures. Consult and deliver new/amended policies and procedures into the business area in conjunction with relevant HR specialist area.
- Support business unit and HR Service Centre with disciplinary/grievances and other employee issues where specific business area knowledge is essential.
Talent Acquisition (TA)
- Identify short, medium and long term resourcing issues. Build and maintain the local manpower plans, co-ordinate with the TA Team over workforce supply and demand.
- Challenge Business Unit on new roles, replacement strategy, Career Framework levels etc.
- Support the Business Unit in the Career Framework Evaluation / Pay Benchmarking process for new positions or substantially changed roles including the provision of advice and guidance on the Reward and Recognition Strategy for that business unit.
Reward & Recognition
- Facilitate annual and ad-hoc reward initiatives along with the relevant Benefits Specialist.
- Facilitate recognition activities within Business Unit acting as chair for the Employee Engagement Forum (where required)
- In conjunction with Benefits Specialists, support, promote and review the Oceaneering Benefit plans providing Business Unit feedback on same as required.
Talent Development (TD)
- In conjunction with relevant TD Specialist, support the Oceaneering Performance Programme within the Business Unit with annual and midyear performance reviews, the setting and reviewing of objectives and subsequent individual development plans.
- Identify and contribute to the design, evaluation and delivery of development interventions to support Business Unit needs.
- Support the Business Unit with the management development of their people, providing advice, guidance and ad-hoc training on Individual Development Plans and work with the business unit to support the Talent Development and Succession planning initiatives that identify employees with high potential, develop career paths in consideration of key roles for succession planning and self-development.
- Provide support to the Oceaneering One Wellness Programme in conjunction with HR specialist areas.
- Assist with any other duties as and when required.
- Undertake specific projects as instructed by management.
- Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
- Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
- Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
- Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- This position has NO direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Director, Human Resources
This position is considered OFFICE WORK which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place
- Work surface is stable (flat)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered LIGHTwork.
- Appropriate People Management Qualification/Degree
- The ability to develop and maintain excellent working relationships within HR and the rest of the business.
- Experience of effective challenging and influencing at Senior Manager/Director level.
- Commercially focused.
- Experience of managing significant organizational change.
- Proven experience of managing and implementing projects and strategic change initiatives.
- Demonstrate evidence of influencing and coaching skills
- Experience of advising on complicated Employee Relations issues.
- An up to date understanding of present and future employment legislation.
- Experience of working in a unionized environment (only where applicable for Business Unit).
- Experience within an HR Business Partner role.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have complete knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and PeopleSoft.
Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Change Management - Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
We offer a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, relocation support and the opportunity to advance in an international company. To apply, click 'Apply Now'.
Job Title: HR Business Partner
Location: Rosyth, Scotland
Job ID: 11806