Oceaneering Sr. Geoscientist in Bothell, Washington
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering presently carries out a range of survey projects within the fields of seafloor mapping, geophysical and geotechnical surveys, and hydrographic surveys. Typical projects range from deep ocean to coastal, ports and harbors, and pipeline and cable route surveys and include elements of hydrographic and geophysical surveys. The Sr. Geoscientist is responsible for the interpretation, report preparation, and delivery of high-resolution remote sensing marine survey data to the customer.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Geological and geophysical data interpretation and reporting during offshore operations.
- Lead geoscientist in office responsible for data process control and final interpretations and reporting.
- Conducts multi-variate processing and Interpretation of bathymetric and seabed features using real-time records, bathymetric data, sidescan sonar and/or backscatter intensity data, subbottom profiler data, magnetometer data, and seabed samples and/or CPT data (where available).
- Advises in the selection of seabed cores, grab sample, and CPT locations. Ensures geophysical interpretations are properly classified with geotechnical results.
- In the offshore arena, the geoscientist works closely with the onboard route or facilities engineer in order to insure the proposed routing or site selection is free of geohazards. Additional routes or sites will be proposed should any geohazard or engineering constraints be encountered.
- Responsible for the production of maps that will convey the seafloor conditions as well as the locations of the geohazards. Verbal as well as written recommendations are made to the onboard engineer regarding the collection of additional survey data, route design or facilities placement.
- Review of technical specifications to meet survey objectives.
- Communicate with the Party Chief, systems engineers and data processing personnel with respect to data interpretation and quality.
- Suggest improvements to survey techniques and practices and implement these on approval of the Operations Manager.
- The Sr. Geoscientist is required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in marine geology, geophysics, or related field.
- Has demonstrated excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team member aboard survey ships.
- Extensive travel and the ability to work away from home for periods up to 45 days.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- A current SECRET clearance or the ability and desire to obtain a SECRET clearance depending on the project or operation supported.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have complete knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel.
- Working knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS, Global Mapper, or equivalent mapping programs is preferred.
- Proficiency with a variety of field concepts, practices, procedures and equipment operations such as GPS, Side Scan Sonars, Multibeam, Subbottom profiler, and Magnetometer systems.
- Familiarity/experience with survey processing software such as CARIS, Sonarwiz, Edgetech Discover, Fledermaus, Hypack, etc.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to analyze situations accurately, utilizing a variety of analytical techniques in order to make well informed decisions.
- Knowledge of research and data gathering methods.
- Skill to read and comprehend job related materials and documents.
- Skill to gather, analyze and interpret data.
- Develops new approaches, methods, or technologies
- Keeps manager informed about progress and problems
- Ability to develop and apply creative and innovative solutions to problems.
- Proposes new approaches, methods, or techniques
- Works cooperatively with others to produce innovative solutions
- Knowledge of confidentiality rules, procedures, and information exchange agreements to protect information from unauthorized disclosure.
- Skill to maintain a high level of security and confidentiality of information.
- Treats others fairly and with respect
- Communicates and cooperates with others who have a diversity of cultural and demographic backgrounds
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships.
- Ability to acquire and apply new knowledge or skills for work.
- Masters new technical and organizational concepts and information
- Pursues self-development on a continual basis
- Continues to learn about and improve theories and principles
- Takes advantage of professional development opportunities
- Ability to act independently.
- Exhibits a strong sense of urgency about solving problems and accomplishing work
- Maintains commitment to goals, in the face of obstacles and frustrations
- Skill to work effectively under pressure.
- Ability to work in a team environment, remaining attentive to ideas, recognizing responsibilities, and actively participating with others to accomplish assignments and achieve desired goals.
- Prepares for meetings and presentations
- Reviews and checks the accuracy of information in work reports
- Expresses ideas clearly and concisely in writing
- Organizes written ideas clearly. Tailors written communications to effectively reach an audience
This position is considered OFFSHORE which is characterized as follows.
- Requires working outdoors, exposed to all weather conditions
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Requires working in cramped work spaces and getting into awkward positions
- Requires working in extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Sr. Geoscientist
Location: Bothell, Washington
Job ID: 12815
Full/Part Time: Full-Time