Oceaneering Marine Outside Machinist/Mechanic in Chesapeake, Virginia
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
Our Marine Services Division has more than 30 years experience in providing full-service ship repair capabilities for the US Naval Vessels including submarines, surface ships and crafts and deep submergence systems. Operating from state-of-the-art facilities in Chesapeake, Virginia, we are certified in Submarine Safety (SUBSAFE) and Deep Submergence System Scope of Certification (DSS-SOC) repair activities, and specialize in the design, repair, maintenance, modification, and installation of hull, mechanical and electrical (HM&E;) systems.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Marine Services Division (MSD).
Repair, modify or overhaul various types of equipment or systems. Set up and operate portable machining tools or equipment. Involves heavy lifting, frequent stooping or bending and possible working assignments in overhead structures, confined spaces or beneath machinery. Strict adherence to safety, quality standards, good housekeeping habits, high level of critical thinking/reading comprehension, and frequent travel/overtime are required.
- Must have a Secret Security Clearance issued by the U.S. Department of Defense.
- Applicant will be subject to periodic security investigations and must meet the eligibility requirements to obtain and maintain a security clearance issued by the US Government.
- In addition to the security clearance, this position may require an additional background screening for base access.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Requires no supervision/oversight, has experience in the trade qualifications, and can perform all work required as an Outside Machinist and will provide mentoring to junior craftsman.
- Must be able to understand and perform the basic set up, alignment, and operation of various portable tools and hand tools used in the trade as well as the ability to use most precision measuring instruments such as height gauges, depth gauges, calipers, verniers, lay-out tools, tachometers, thermometers, vibration indicators and posses the ability to accurately record readings and measurements as well as complete documentation, repair, and testing of equipment.
- Must have the ability to interpret and work from blueprints, sketches and specifications, and have experience in the disassembly, repair, installation, testing and inspection of ship machinery such as, but not limited to, propelling machinery, pumps, valves, launchers, discharge machinery, ventilation equipment, steering gear, evaporators, heaters, condensers, propulsion plants, torpedo tubes, shutter doors, antennae mast mechanical groups.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Reports to Project Manager or immediate Project Supervisor.
- High School/GED with Apprenticeship Diploma and additional vocational courses or technical school graduate; and/or military and/or civilian experience with marine mechanical systems in a repair department or shipyard.
- Must have the ability to obtain government base access.
- Knowledge and practical skills tests required.
- NAVSEA Hatch Inspector, Electroplating, Deep Submergence Systems (SOC MCD A, B, and C), SUBSAFE Qualification.
Employee must provide his/her own personally owned and controlled hand tools for use in daily tasks. A tool list will be provided in new hire orientation
This position is considered SHOP/OUTDOORS which is characterized as follows.
- Primarily outdoors during the day and occasionally at night
- Frequently working on or near moving equipment and vibrating equipment
- Humidity is frequently above 90%
- Noise is over 85 decibels
- Light is intense/glare
- Occasional exposure to open fire/flames/sparks
- Frequent exposure to airborne dust, fumes, and gases
- Work surface is stable
- Constant exposure to dust
- Includes exposure to contaminants
- Requires working in very hot (above 90 F degrees) or very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures
- Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position is considered MEDIUMwork.
- Lift 20-50 pounds
- Work in confined spaces,kneel, jump, run, and work while lying on stomach/back, crawl, and use repetitive movements of the arms and hands.
- Identify color differences
- Wear PPE for skin protection
- Lift 10-25 pounds
- Climb stairs/ladders, stand, balance, stoop, squat, reach, and lift/carry objects
- Twist body, sit with back supported, head forward/flexed, head tilted/rotated, and work with arms extended overhead
- Operate a motor vehicle
- Lift up to 10 pounds
- Wear PPE protection for body, vision, and hearing protection
The Oceaneering Marine Services Division facilities can currently employ "US Persons", only. Your eligibility to work at this facility and/or transfer to other Oceaneering locations will be limited if you are not a US Citizen or are a dual citizen of another country. (The EAR and the ITAR definitions of a “U.S. person” is a “citizen or intending citizen” means an individual who is (1) a citizen or national of the U.S., (2) a lawful permanent resident, (3) admitted as a refugee, or (4) granted asylum.)
Oceaneering offers a comprehensive, total rewards package that includes competitive compensation, a flexible benefits package, work-life balance, and tailored career development programs that reflect its commitment to creating a diverse and supportive workplace.
- Medical, Vision & Dental Insurance
- Vacation, Sick Leave & Company Paid Holidays
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Insurance: Complimentary Basic Life & AD&D;
- Health & Dependent Care Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short-Term & Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- Program Performance Reviews & Advancement Opportunities
- Personal Development & Learning Opportunities
- On-the-job Training, Skills Development & Certifications
- Employee Referral Program
- Corporate Sponsored Events & So Much More!
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Board Partnership
Job Title: Marine Outside Machinist/Mechanic
Location: Chesapeake, Virginia
Job ID: 12651
Full/Part Time: Full-Time