Oceaneering Software Developer in Lafayette, Louisiana
Oceaneering is a global oilfield provider of engineered services and products primarily to the offshore oil and gas industry, with a focus on deepwater applications. Through the use of its applied technology expertise, Oceaneering also serves the defense, entertainment, and aerospace industries. Oceaneering’s business offerings include remotely operated vehicles, built-to-order specialty subsea hardware, deepwater intervention and manned diving services, non-destructive testing and inspection, and engineering and project management.
The role of the Software Developer is to design, execute, assess, and troubleshoot software programs and applications. This includes configuring, coding, developing, and documenting software specifications throughout the project life cycle. The Systems Analyst/Programmer will also oversee system startups in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide support to other departments where required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Collaborate with analysts and designers in the development and initiation of new software programs and applications
- Research, document, and implement program requirements and specifications
- Write, translate, and code software programs and applications according to specifications
- Oversee the quality assurance of program logic, data processing, and error resolution
- Run and monitor performance tests on new and existing software for the purposes of correcting mistakes, isolating areas for improvement, and general debugging
- Administer diagnostic analysis of test results and deliver solutions to critical areas
- Determine, develop, and maintain user manuals and guidelines
- Develop an awareness of programming and design alternatives
- Cultivate and disseminate knowledge of application development best practices
- Gather statistics and prepare and write reports on the status of the programming process for discussion with management and/or team members
- Install software products for end users as required
- Liaise with company’s software and hardware suppliers for prompt rectification of any problems or emergencies
- Liaise with network administrators and others to resolve any defects in products or company systems
- Direct research on emerging application development software products, languages, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts
- Recommend, schedule, and perform software improvements and upgrades for optimal performance of company workstations
- Train, manage and provide guidance to junior software development staff
- Perform all other duties as requested, directed or assigned
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering and/or 5 years equivalent work experience
- Technically fluent in programming languages, including C, C++, Java, C# and other object oriented paradigms
- Competent and proficient understanding of platforms such as UNIX (Solaris and Linux) and Windows
- Hands-on software troubleshooting experience
- Must be able to learn, understand, and apply new technologies
- Database and operating systems experience with SQL a plus
- Adept at conducting research into software-related issues and products
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Experience in the oil & gas, pipeline, petroleum industry
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ability to analyze situations accurately, utilizing a variety of analytical techniques in order to make well informed decisions
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Skill to gather, analyze and interpret data
- Ability to determine and meet customer needs
- Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept informed about developments and plans
- Knowledge of communication styles and techniques
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Skill to prioritize workflow in a changing work environment
- Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
This position is considered OFFICE which is characterized as follows.
- Almost exclusively indoors during the day and occasionally at night.
- Occasional exposure to airborne dust in the work place. Work surface is stable (flat).Frequently the humidity is above 90%, noise is over 85db and the light is intense/glare.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is considered LIGHTwork.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, political affiliation, marital status, sexual orientation, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Software Developer
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
Job ID: 11861
Full/Part Time: Full-Time