Oceaneering Technical Writer in Orlando, Florida
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering Entertainment Systems (OES) is an award-winning ride systems designer/integrator that contributes to the cutting-edge development of theme park technologies and other custom solutions. Comprised of some of the best talent in the industry, OES is a group of engineers,installers, planners, project managers, and visionaries who work together to bring a logical approach to its Customers’ creative challenges. The success of OES comes from our ability to interpret the visions of some of the most talented Creative Designers in the themed attractions industry, and utilize its compelling engineering expertise in order to help them create compelling shows and powerful experiences.
*For more information please go to *www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Entertainment Systems (OES).
Develops and maintains technical documentation in a coordinated team environment involving all the activities, including interactions with managers, and engineering staff in all departments. Requires experience with the preparation and review of technical material for publication in both paper and electronic formats. Documentation to develop/update includes (but is not limited to) technical manuals, equipment manuals, operating and maintenance instructions/manuals, database entry, parts lists, assembly instructions, reports, appendices, and project proposals. Expectation of this function requires strictest attention to detail and accuracy, clearly communicated and coordinated efforts involving all the activities within the department the position is assigned to.
Must have the ability to support the creation of technical manuals in Microsoft Office applications. Duties include researching data, interpreting engineering information, writing product descriptions and theory of operations, creating maintenance procedures, editing materials, and incorporating changes. Must be detail-oriented self-starter and willing to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment. Ability to work independently and in a small team environment is important. Clear communication and ability to coordinate team management efforts involving all the activities within OES.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Track requirements and coordinate the delivery of technical documentation.
- Based on documentation requirements, estimate the level of effort required to complete the task and communicate that to the technical writing team lead or Project Manager (PM).
- Prepare an individual work schedule for the task.
- Conduct all necessary research, to include reading source material, using the application software, meeting with and interviewing subject matter experts (SMEs).
- Write/review/edit the documentation, according to published department standards and procedures.
- Create simple illustrations and screen captures, as needed; arrange with graphics designers to create more complicated illustrations.
- Submit drafts for review by SMEs and peers.
- Incorporate all review comments into the documents.
- Provide periodic status reports, as required.
- Create training material, curriculum and course outlines (as-need basis).
- Some work may be physical in nature during system integration.
- Familiarity with engineering standards and ISO standards
- Research abilities using internet search engines, databases, and resources.
- Operate equipment such as Computer, scanners, laser printers, and copiers, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in English, Technical Writing, or Communications, or Engineering degree with experience in technical writing; 8 years’ experience may substitute for education requirement.
- Five years’ experience in creating maintenance, operations, troubleshooting and setup/tear down procedures without source data. Experienced with technical documentation development and editing of large-scale systems for both commercial and other customers, with experience in technical writing and editing in engineering topics; engineering background desired.
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with all levels of the company and subcontractor organization.
- Excellent technical writing skills required.
- Well-developed application software skills in Windows environment, with emphasis in Microsoft Office applications
- Multi-tasking skills and flexibility are essential.
- Familiarity with CAD software such as AutoCad and SolidWorks is a plus.
- Demonstrates knowledge and effective use of the principles, practices, and procedures of a particular field of specialization and understanding of related engineering fields.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Candidate will have to perform in an ISO-9001 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
- Ability to work in the U.S.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified candidates will receive consideration for all positions without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or other non-merit factors.
Job Title: Technical Writer
Location: Orlando, Florida
Job ID: 12913
Full/Part Time: Full-Time